一盏凉茶,一手妙字,一曲闲琴,打造一品人生

Sunday, February 19, 2012

Hamlet Act 1 Scene 2 Script



Main Characters: Queen, Hamlet, King Claudius, Horatio, Laertes

King  My dear brother Hamlet died only days ago. Even though our entire kingdom are still grieved about this disaster. But we have to overcome all this and move on. There is nothing can stop our steps and make us forget our responsibility. Therefore, I married our former sister-in-law. Just like there are always something bad and something good happen in our life. I hope our wedding can bring a little bit delight to balance all our sorrow. And for those who make such a good advise, thank you! Next is something you already know. Fortinbras think our kingdom is disordered and powerless after my brother's death. He send us several messages demanding for the lands that his father lost. And now is the purpose for this meeting. I have written to the King of Norway, Fortinbras's uncle, tell him to stop his nephew from being too powerful. Unfortunately, he suffer the diseases for a long time and hardly knows anything about his nephew. So I will send you, good Cornelius and you, Voltemand to Norway with this letter to negotiate with the King. Hope you can depart as soon as possible and I trust you will finish the mission.
      Ok, now, Laertes, what do you want? I remember you have some requests. Just ask me. I will agree anything you ask if it is reasonable. Your  father is my trusted adviser, how can refuse your requests? Speak it out, Laertes, what's your wishes?

Laertes   My Lord, I already finished my duty here and I want to go back to France.

King   Have you ask your father's permission yet? What does Polonius say?

Polonius  Yes, my Lord, I agree.

King   Then I will be fine with that. I hope you can enjoy your trip, Laertes. It is always a good thing for young people travel around . They can always inspire themselves.

King   Hamlet, Why are you still under a cloud?

Hamlet  Not reallly, my lord. I'm suffering from too much sun.

Queen  Oh, my dear Hamlet! Forget about the sadness. You should look up. You know, everybody’s going to die. It’s normal.

Hamlet  Yes, madam. It's normal.

Queen  If you really feel like that, why are you still seems so depressed?

Hamlet  What you see cannot be compared with what I feel deep inside. I'm suffering! Dear mom!

King   It's very commendable of you to mourn you father like this, Hamlet. But you have to know that everyone in the world will go through this. So no matter how much you sad about his death, you have to let the sorrow go and move on. The endless sorrow is not something that belongs to a man! Nature takes your father's death as a normal thing, that's what you should do. So I beg you to bury all your grief! I will be your father and you will be the next King! I will treat you just like my own son and give you everything you want! But I don't want you return to Wittenberg University. We hope you can stay here with us, let us to take good care of you!

Queen  I pray for you to stay with us. Don’t let the prayers go away. Don’t go to Wittenberg!

Hamlet  I will try hard. Mother.

King   Oh, wonderful! This is the reply I want to hear!
        Come here, Madam. This just cheers my heart. I will fire cannon to inform the clouds and drink all night to celebrate it! Come, let's go!

Hamlet  What is happening to this world?! Oh, God, God! Can time vanish everything? My uncle took my father's crown and married my mother at the same time without shame. And look at that happy lady, does she remember how much my father loved her before? It's only two months! Even monsters can mourn longer than that!

Horatio  Greeting to my gracious lord!

Hamlet  Glad to see you, Horatio, if I'm right.

Horatio  Indeed, I am going to be your humble servant forever!

Hamlet  Oh, my good friend! Why are you back?

Horatio  I escaped from school, my lord!

Hamlet  Don't say that. I know you would never escape from school. So, what are you doing here.

Horatio  My lord, I am coming here to see your father’s funeral.

Hamlet  Oh, please! I think you are here to see my mother's wedding!

Horatio  [embarrassed] Oh, it happened so fast!

Hamlet  I know, don't eat the food in the wedding because those are lefterovers. I would rather meet go to the heaven. Oh, maybe I can meet my father there!

Horatio  [startled] Where is he, my lord?

Hamlet  In my heart.

Horatio  I saw him before. He was a good King.

Hamlet  Yes, he was the greatest king ever.

Horatio  I think I saw him last night, my lord.

Hamlet  Saw who?

Horatio  My lord, it was your father—the old King.

Hamlet  My father?

Horatio  Don’t be upset. Let me describe this marvel to you with the guards as witnesses.

Hamlet  Speak out loud!

Horatio  For two nights in succession, these guards Marcellus and Barnardo have been confronted a figure like your father. He is armed correctly and looked exactly the same as the old King. He walked solemnly at a slow but steady pace. He walked three times right in front of them but did not speak. The guards were scared and asked me to stay with them for the third night. I came and recognized your father. What they said are correct!

Hamlet  Did you speak to him?

Horatio  My lord, I did, but he didn’t reply. However there was one time he was going to say something. Then the morning cock started to crow. He disappeared.

Hamlet  That's strange.

Horatio  I swear to God, my honored lord, it is true. We think we should tell you.

Hamlet  Of cause. But I worry about it. Are you going tonight?

Horatio  Yes, I am, my lord.

Hamlet  Was he armed?

Horatio  He was, my lord.

Hamlet  Did you see his face?

Horatio  Oh yes, my lord. He wore his visor up.

Hamlet  Was he like a fiercely warrior?

Horatio  His face showed more sorrow than anger.

Hamlet  Pale or red?

Horatio  My lord. It was very pale.

Hamlet  And looked hard at you?

Horatio  Throughout.

Hamlet  I wish I was there.

Horatio  It would have astounded you.

Hamlet  Yes, I believe so. How long did he stay?

Horatio  A minute or so.

Hamlet  How was his beard look like?

Horatio  Black streaked with silver. It is similar to what I had seen it during his lifetime.

Hamlet  I'll be there tonight. I guess he will appear again.

Horatio  I’m sure he will.

Hamlet  If it look like my father. I will talk to him no matter what will happen. I hope you won't tell anyone about what happen tonight. So goodbye, I'll see you there.

Horatio  Be assured of my duty to your honor.

Hamlet  Thank you for all you did.
        My father's spirit is armed! There have to be something strange going on. My poor soul. I will find the truth, no matter how hard it will be!

No comments:

Post a Comment